Charlotte Adoption Attorney
Ensure You Are Covered as You Add a New Family Member
If you are considering adopting a child, make sure you do it right. At Pinnacle Law, our Charlotte adoption attorney has experience helping clients get through the application process to ensure a successful adoption. We stand ready to help you add your new family member. Call today to schedule your consultation and get started.
Dial (704) 734-9797 to schedule a consultation with Pinnacle Law. You can also reach us online.
Different Types of Adoption
An adoption of a child not only severs the parent-child relationship between the child and their biological parents, but it also establishes a parent-child relationship between the adopted child and the adoptive parent. Once adopted, that child has the same legal status as would a biological child of the parents.
- Step-parent adoptions: When a biological parent of a child remarries, the new spouse/stepparent seeks to adopt the child. The biological parent of the child must have legal and physical custody of the child, and the child must have resided primarily with the biological parent and the stepparent for at least 6 months before filing for adoption. This requires a home study and is available to both same-sex and heterosexual couples.
- Same-sex adoptions: Same-sex spouses can adopt both biological and adopted children of their husband or wife. For more information on the adoption process, consider reviewing Chapter 48 of the North Carolina General Statutes or make an appointment today for a consultation with our adoption attorney, Doughton Horton.
- International adoptions: Adoptive parents must go through the adoption process of the child’s home country, using only an accredited adoption agency. The Hague Convention may apply if you are adopting from a country who is a signatory of the Hague Convention. Once the child is deemed eligible to be adopted, the adoptive parents must apply on the child’s behalf to immigrate to the United States, after which the child will be “readopted” pursuant to the laws of North Carolina.
- Relative adoptions: This occurs when a child’s biological parents decide to relinquish their parental rights directly to a relative such as an aunt, uncle, or grandparent. The process can begin before or after the child is born, and there is a home study required.
- Agency adoptions: Should a child’s biological parents relinquish their rights to a licensed adoption agency who in turn facilitate the adoption of the child, we can help. There is a home study required.
Call (704) 734-9797 Now
At Pinnacle Law, we know how to adhere to the law as it pertains to adoption. Because the laws can be so confusing and lengthy, having the help of a Charlotte adoption attorney can help you avoid any unnecessary complications. Let us help you through this process.
Schedule your consultation about the adoption process. Call (704) 734-9797 today.
Communication and professionalism was superb.- Satisfied Client
I’ve had the opportunity to recommend you twice since we first connected in May/June, and will continue to share your name should someone be in need of excellent representation-counsel.- Satisfied Client
Exemplary Representation of Our Community- Satisfied Client